test

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Jerry's Mowers

Today was my 3rd trip to Jerry's Mowers - a small, local, hidden store which sells and services lawn mowers, saws, etc. It's a great place. It's run by an elderly woman who is now my hero. She knows absolutely everything about tools. Very personal service, you can tell everyone who goes there (aside from us) has been going there for years. So today, as I pulled up in the big red dumper, the high school kid who has always helped me says "Uh, oh, what's the problem?" Every time I'm there one of the men working at Jerry's comments: "That saw is as big as you are," "You actually use that?" or just give a generally surprised look that I'm there with whatever tool I have and just pulled up in a big truck. (Granted, the pole saw is at least a couple feet taller than me, and no I do not use it.) It's a funny thing down here: everyone has a pick-up, so women drive them often. But, at the same time, there are some very distinct gender roles and blatant surprise when a woman does "a man's job." Everyone at Jerry's is incredibly nice and helpful, and I find the surprise is quite amusing...especially now that I think they're beginning to realize I do know what I'm talking about, even if I do wear a skirt.
My goal for the year: to become friends with the people at Jerry's so I can get one of their awesome t-shirts with a huge picture of a guy on a mower across the front.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home